To many people, the words dissertation and thesis mean the same thing because they are often used interchangeably in context, but what they don’t know is the fact that there exist some differences between the two terms. However, this is not to say there are no similarities between them.
In this article, we will be examining the similarities and differences between the dissertation and thesis
Similarities between a Dissertation and Thesis
Below are some of the most common similarities that exist between a thesis and a dissertation to learn:
- Dissertation and thesis serve the same purpose, so they are used interchangeably in most schools.
- The terms and terminologies in a dissertation are found in the thesis, too—terms such as topic proposal, research, defense, etc.
- In both dissertation and thesis, students are to choose a topic that, after approval by the department, they (the students) will now engage in a series of complex research to demonstrate the knowledge they have acquired over the years of studying their courses.
- Both dissertation and thesis have the same writing structure and format.
- Both dissertation and thesis writing are a major requirement for students who want to get their master / Ph.D. degree. They must create a master thesis proposal or a dissertation proposal that aims to introduce the readers to the research’s main aim.
- Before students at any level are certified as a graduate, they must successfully defend the completed thesis or dissertation.
- Copyright infringement is a big issue in academia and is, therefore, the foundational requirement on which dissertation and thesis writing stands. For your project to be accepted, you must have written truly original research and cited sources where necessary.
Differences between a Dissertation and a Thesis
The following are the differences between a dissertation and thesis that we have gathered:
- Dissertation and thesis are an essential requirement for students who want to get a degree. However, in the United States, for example, to get a master’s degree, you need to do a thesis and write a dissertation to get a Ph.D. degree.
- These documents have different lengths. A thesis should contain at least 100 pages; a dissertation is a longer document than a thesis.
- Original research is an essential requirement for writing a thesis while using existing research when writing a dissertation.
- When writing a thesis, you have to add a thesis analysis to the existing literature, while a dissertation is part of the analysis of existing literature.
- In dissertation writing, you must do more extensive work when developing your research than a thesis’s requirements.
- A thesis and dissertation have different statements. A thesis only states a point to explain to readers how you intend to prove your study’s argument. A dissertation, on the other hand, requires a hypothesis.
- Maybe there is no proof of this, but writing a dissertation is more difficult for school students.
Even though certain similarities exist between a thesis and a dissertation, the differences between them are clear and distinct. However, if you are having troubles with any of these papers, you can order cheap dissertation writing help or help with thesis writing online.